For Sale: Rarely Available Waipio Valley Acreage With a Storied Past

Waipio – Valley of the Kings

Waipio Valley

Valley of the Kings - Overlooking Waipio Valley on the Big Island's Hamakua Coast

View Property Details for MLS 242407 – 2.76 acres in Waipio Valley on Hawaii’s Big Island

Waipio Valley, located on the Big Island’s Hamakua Coast, is known for its black sand beach, meandering streams, taro fields and mesmerizing waterfalls. For many, this land, once home to Hawaiian royalty, is a sacred and spiritual place. Opportunities to purchase real estate in Waipio Valley are rare and generally appeal to a select few intrepid and adventurous souls.

It is a distinct honor for me, as a Big Island Realtor, to be the listing agent for MLS 242407, a 2.76 acre parcel of land bordering the pools at the bottom of Papala Falls, a 1000′ seasonal waterfall located about 3 miles back in the valley. This unique property, which has a rich history of its own, is home to the famous Waipio Tree House, once a popular guest house owned by Linda Beech.

VIDEO: Hawaii’s Waipio Valley and the Waipio Tree House – on OpenRoad.tv

Linda and her tree house, built high up in a towering monkeypod tree, hosted many visitors and distinguished guests and even achieved acclaim in national print publications and TV productions. This Open Road TV video interview with Linda during the time she was the owner of the land captures the essence of this property and shows you what the guest house once was. (The tree house has seen some wear and tear over the last few years, but the future owner, with dedication and TLC, could restore it to its former glory.)

With a recent price reduction of nearly $50K, this parcel is now available for $199,500*. Please contact me for more information or to arrange a tour of the property.

*Price is subject to change – please click the property detail link under the photo above to view the most current information.

Comments

1. Is it still on the market? I saw that in 2007 the price was in excess of a million. Why down to 199,500? Is the title/land encumbered? What are the handicaps? Is Linda still alive?

Jane Scheid on January 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm
    • Hello Jane,

Yes, this property is still on the market at the list price of $199,500. I am the listing agent for this amazing property and would be more than happy to discuss any questions you may have. (No encumbrances to land and title.) Feel free to call me at 808-895-4806 or e-mail me for more information.

Mahalo nui loa,

Bailey

Bailey Wharton (R) on January 11, 2012 at 1:51 pm
    • My aunt Linda Beech passed away on January 5, 2012 at the age of 88.

Marco

Marco on January 28, 2012 at 8:13 pm
      • She mattered to me.

JM Scheid on February 3, 2012 at 11:35 pm
      • Sorry to hear about the death of Linda. My wife and I stayed at the tree house in the late 1990′s. We had a great visit with Ms. Beech and had the opportunity to enjoy a drink and several of her stories.

former guest on February 13, 2012 at 10:34 am
      • Marco,

I’m sad to hear about Linda’s passing. I lived in Waipi’o with her, helping to care for her, in the fall of 2011. It was a time of great learning, growth, and change for me. She was always a kind and very interesting woman, and I often think about her.

Kind regards,
        Kelly

Kelly on July 23, 2012 at 11:45 am
  2. Hello Bailey,

We live in Raleigh, N.C. We are interested in this beautiful property; I understand it is difficult to get to.

Please contact me.

Sincerely

Charles Matthews

Charles Matthews on January 15, 2012 at 6:17 am
  3. Is it still available? Is it Ms. Beech’s entire plot including the treehouse and all structures?

LAS on February 23, 2012 at 4:28 am
  4. Ms. Linda Beech is featured in this documentary. Although I didn’t know her personally, she was lovely in this.

love on March 20, 2012 at 4:38 am
  5. I am so saddened to hear of Ms Beech’s passing. I’m sure her spirit of Aloha still is a part of Waipi’o. I had seen a TV program, w/the Tree House featured, & was determined that I would stay there on my next trip to the Big Island. Sadly, by the time I got there, Ms Beech had moved from her beloved Valley & one could no longer stay at the Tree House. If I could afford two mortgages, I would surely purchase this property. What an amazing opportunity!

Bruce on March 27, 2012 at 6:42 am
  6. Aloha I met Linda in October 2010, I did not think she looked well then , I am sad about reading this what a lovely woman she will be missed by many.
    Did her place sell ? Darlene

Darlene on April 14, 2012 at 12:56 am
    • Hi Darlene,

This listing is no longer active.

With aloha,

Cynthia Hoskins, R(S)
      Clark Realty Corporation

Cynthia Hoskins, R(S) on April 23, 2012 at 10:33 am
  7. May Linda rest in Peace. I was so fortunate to spend some time on her property doing work for her about 7 years ago. I remember waking in the morning and walking to the mango tree to find my breakfast. I remember helping her organize her home, while listening to her incredible stories of Hawaii and Japan and unpacking the memories in her boxes. I remember the fantastic bath house and soaking in the healing waters in the evening. I remember a few occasions of visitors and Linda’s incredible charm and hosting capabilities. I remember Linda driving a big old truck like a bat out of hell, up and down the treacherous road into the valley ( i was never convinced she could really see clearly when she drove). I remember the vintage red silk kimono Linda gifted me from when she was filming her TV show.

Such fond memories. If I had the funds I would purchase this property in a Heartbeat.

Amy on April 22, 2012 at 8:08 pm
  8. My daughter and I knew Linda…we lived in the valley many years ago…my daughter was just a youngster, and I a young woman living off the land…a few years back we returned and rented a cabin from Linda…spent too short a time looking back…but we had a chance to laugh and exchange stories…we wrote in her journal …she asked permission to reprint it, and of course we said gladly yes…

She goes through my mind so often…the magic that is Waipio and all it represents…the wonder of your aunt, and her strength and love…

I can’t hardly imagine the property for sale and her not in the compound…
    She asked us to return when my daughter had a child, and finally she has, but we never thought of Linda not being alive to fulfill that wish…that saddens my heart…I wish we could do something to keep the property…and Linda and her dreams alive…many a young college student worked there for her, and learned far more than they would ever on campus…

I don’t know why I looked her up this morning…I guess it is because we usually communicate about once a year, always around Christmas…we were there the last time, on Christmas…

With my saddened heart,

Deborah

Deborah Gelep on December 2, 2012 at 2:05 am
  9. I lived in Waipio for a year between ’77 and ’78 and remember the Treehouse well. I never had the fortune of meeting Linda but did get to know her son while visiting the Treehouse. I had no idea Stephen Oldfather built it. His children were good friends of mine while I lived on the island. I look forward to visiting the valley again and hopefully seeing old friends again.

Alex on January 7, 2013 at 9:14 am
  10. My husband and I stayed at Linda’s treehouse in September 2000 and were married in a very small ceremony by the waterfall. It is a memory we will always cherish. I fell in love with Waipio and dream of returning again to visit someday. So sorry to hear of Linda’s passing. She was very nice and treated us well during our stay. She attended our wedding ceremony too. She lived a good life in a beautiful dreamlike place that she was deeply connected to. May her spirit soar with aloha love eternally.

Julie on June 12, 2013 at 10:20 am
  11. I never had the opportunity to meet Ms. Beech. I saw the video years and years ago and was amazed at how her soul & spirit shown through on the TV. As I now read these comments of friends, I realize that my feelings were right on. At the time of the video she admitted that the struggle to get to her home was beginning to be hard and she looked a little frail. I wanted to reach out and help her and am happy to learn that some of you did and that she (I hope) was able to continue to live in the valley. I first saw the valley from the lookout in 2009 and could not get a shuttle down. I was so moved by what I felt, I bought a beautiful painting of it so I could reconnect with it at home. I came back April 2013 and spent the best part of a day (of my life) shuttled around the Taro patches and hiking to the beach, marveling at the huge waves from a passing storm. I learned then that non Hawaiians could buy property there! I thought that it was restricted and passed down within families. This same trip was to find some jungle to call home I thought near the warm tide pools and volcano but I just got a listing for vacant land in the Valley and this is how I relearned about this lady, I had totally forgotten the TV program. I had no idea her tree house was on the Big Island. I see by an April 2012 comment here, that hers is no longer for sale. But I am still looking. At least if I do find my place, I will consider looking for one with a big Monkey Pod tree to build my dreaming tree house. Aloha dear Soul

Krystal on June 20, 2013 at 2:47 pm
  12. I am so sad to hear that Linda passed awaty. I first met Linda when my ex-girlfriend and I rented the treehouse in 1999. Amazing place and an even more amazing person. One quote from her I will always remember and always talk about was when she was telling my ex and I about the valley. She said “Feel free to explore everywhere from the water to cliffs, but don’t go past the barb wire, ’cause that’s where they grow the weed, and they’ll shoot you.” LOL My condolences and best wishes to all that knew her.

MIKE on July 31, 2013 at 2:57 pm